Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Chore Skirmishes and Putting my Size 10 Foot Down

Over the weekend, my husband finally unpacked the box the geeklets had been waiting for. Somewhere, in the depths of that box, the Wii was hidden.

This prompted a rush of "I wanna play Mario Kart!" and "OOOOOO.... Cooking Mama!"

I looked at my children, so eager to play a video game yet so desperate to get out of common household chores.

The lightbulb went off.

"Fine," I said. "You can play the Wii tomorrow until lunchtime... IF you get your chores done."

"Okay!" "Yeah!"

See, what you have to understand, is that I'm not an evil Mom. I just have an evil sense of humor. Ever since school has let out, my children have taken a cue from my husband and become, shall we say, domestically-challenged.

My five year old, who has been making the bed since he was three, suddenly decided he had no clue what I was talking about when I discuss putting the pillow back on his bed.
My eight year old who loves to cook and has finally been given a certain amount of autonomy when it comes to making a bowl of cereal or a peanut butter sandwich can't figure out how to put a dirty spoon in the sink.

So, in my evil sense of humor, I began writing a list. I slipped it under their door as they slept last night.

1) Wake up. Should go without saying, but they refuse to wake up at the same time and often throw tantrums.
2) Use the bathroom. Wash Hands. I feel rotten that I have to remind them to wash their hands by this stage of the game.
3) Brush teeth. Again, by this point you'd figure they have it down. But, no.
It goes on with more tasks such as pick up the toys from the floor to making beds, taking care of their laundry, etc...

At the bottom of the list I wrote in big letters: Any fighting, crying, tantrums, or whining will result in this agreement being voided.
"What's that mean?" the five year old asked.
"It means we can't play the Wii if Mommy thinks we're acting like brats..." The eight year old told him solemnly.

Their room is spotless. They've only had a couple of minor squabbles that they quickly suppressed without adult intervention.
It's been such a pleasant morning.

I'm already writing tomorrow's list. I wonder if either of them can use a steam cleaner...?

No comments:

Post a Comment