Friday, June 12, 2009

Sore Feet, Satisfied Soul

This last move in our household was so hectic. I was given literally 2 days to get the kids evacuated from the last house, and I wasn't given any time to contemplate the new place before the lease was signed and we walked in the door.

I've spent most of the last 24 hours finally setting the house to rights. There's still a bit of "temporary" furniture, mostly items loaned to us from our neighbors, but it's starting to look and feel like home.

I woke at 4 am this morning and while the kids and husband were still sleeping I drove to Walmart in a drizzling rain.
Why?
Because, I promised my husband that I would BUY him a TV. You see, for the last five years, we've been renting our TVs (along with most of our furniture) and he had had enough. The expense was too high, the customer service poor, and over all, it was just time for us to break down and buy one. We've been making do for the past two months with a tiny little 13 inch (non-digital- the HORROR!!!) model and no cable connections or other TV channels to take their minds off the situation at hand.

My husband (and children for that matter) can't live without a certain level of technology in the house. I'm fine with reading, cooking, and knitting for entertainment. They aren't. It's a sad state of things when my own family can't sit still without having a zombie-inducing box to stare at. However, what really made me decide that today was THE DAY was the simple fact that my children were driving me insane. The weather has been rotten for the past week. So they've been watching movies... the same five movies... let me repeat that: THE SAME FIVE MOVIES...over and over and over and over and over and... well, you know where this is going. I swear, I can tell what movie they are watching by the sound the birds or crickets chirping in it make, let alone the dialogue or characters.

So yes, I broke down, had cable installed, and bought them a television.

While the husband was distracted by the new shiny object of adoration, I began what I deemed phase two of making this place livable. I began putting soft objects around the house. I hung curtains. I couldn't find a rug of suitable size so I bought several smaller ones and I've duct-taped them together to make a giant rug. I've run cables and wires and hidden them behind masking tape that just happens to match the walls. In other words, I've been a stubborn idiot with a distinct fear of heights who has spent the day on ladders and chairs.

My feet are swollen. My hands have a few blisters. But I've wielded a drill and a screwdriver with an ease that my husband can never match. And I'm tired... in a good sort of way.

So, how has your day gone?

With Love,
Meg

1 comment:

  1. Moving is so exhausting! Sounds like you are good at being inventive - I'm intrigued by the duct tape rug! Hope your feet and hands are better now :)

    ReplyDelete